January 7, 2016
For the second year in a row, BLB&G was named a “Class Group of the Year” by Law360 for recovering “more than $1 billion for clients in 2015 including the record-setting $500 million settlement over Bear Stearn’s sale of mortgage-backed securities.” BLB&G is one of only 9 firms selected nationally for this honor.
In its profile of the firm, Law360 features BLB&G partner Gerald Silk discussing the $500 million settlement with JPMorgan Chase & Co. and explaining that the recovery “is something we’re really proud of because these cases are very complicated and very risky.” According to Mr. Silk, the firm “had to wade into uncharted territory with no established precedents, as there had never before been a mortgage-backed securities crisis,” and given the complexities and obscurities associated with mortgage-backed securities, the firm had to “dissect the complex securities business and explain to the court how it worked, what kind of due diligence was required by law and how the banks should have been performing the securitization…Our job was to do all that deep analysis, but at the same time simplify it to make it understandable and present the narrative to a court and to a jury.”
The profile also highlights several other major recoveries achieved by the firm in 2015, including $204.4 million in partial settlements in MF Global; the $180 million settlement in Bank of New York Mellon Corp.; and the $153.75 million settlement in Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc.
Mr. Silk credits the firm’s success to both its focus on clients, as well as its lawyers’ conviction in the meritorious claims that are brought in each case. According to him, “We believe in the claims that we’re bringing, and we believe that even though we’re typically going up against some of the largest companies in the world who are represented by some of the largest law firms in the world, we have the resources and focus and commitment to go toe-to-toe with them to see our case through to fruition. It’s a critical component to our success.”
- Awards Law360 Names John Rizio-Hamilton a 2020 “Legal MVP” for Securities October 5, 2020 Learn More
- Awards Benchmark Litigation Again Names BLB&G One of the Top Firms in the Nation in 2021 Guide October 7, 2020 Learn More
- Awards BLB&G named a 2020 finalist in "Boutique/Specialty Firm of the Year" Category by The American Lawyer November 2, 2020 Learn More
- Awards Rebecca Boon Named 2020 "Young Lawyer of the Year" by The American Lawyer November 2, 2020 Learn More
- Awards BLB&G Named 2020 Top Securities Practice by Law360 November 30, 2020 Learn More
- Awards Lawdragon Names BLB&G Attorneys to 2021 500 Leading Lawyers in America List February 1, 2021 Learn More
- Awards Bernstein Litowitz Dominates ISS SCAS List of Top 100 Securities Settlements of All Time February 24, 2021 Learn More
- Awards Founding Partner Max Berger and Dale Berger Awarded 2021 Commitment to Justice Award by Her Justice March 19, 2021 Learn More
- Awards The National Law Journal Names Avi Josefson and Jim Harrod 2021 Plaintiffs’ Lawyers Trailblazers May 6, 2021 Learn More