May 26, 2023
As part of the American Bar Association’s Spring 2023 Newsletter, BLB&G Senior Associate Lauren Cruz and Associate Emily Tu published the article “Enhancing Diversity on Corporate Boards.” In this piece, the authors consider the state of over a dozen shareholder derivative actions filed following the murder of George Floyd and focused on enhancing diversity on corporate boards. Lauren and Emily investigate certain of the substantive and procedural hurdles of these actions, including proving materiality and causation, as well as forum-selection clauses. The authors note that while derivative actions have stalled in the courts, the lawsuits have been part of a conversation driving broader change outside the courtroom, including state legislation mandating diversity in boardrooms and mandating disclosure of diversity in board composition.
Lauren Cruz is a senior associate in BLB&G’s Los Angeles office, where she prosecutes class actions on behalf of the firm’s institutional investor clients. She has been a key member of the firm’s teams that prosecuted and secured over $1 billion in recoveries for investors, including the pending $1 billion settlement for In re Wells Fargo & Company Securities Litigation.
Emily Tu is an associate at BLB&G, practicing out of the firm’s New York office and prosecuting securities fraud, corporate governance, and shareholder rights litigation on behalf of the firm's institutional investor clients. She received her J.D. from Columbia Law School, where she served as Senior Editor of the Columbia Law Review.
The ABA newsletter regarding Class Actions & Derivative Suits is published quarterly. BLB&G Partner Jonathan Uslaner serves as one of its editors.
- Events Lauren Cruz Speaks at Women Lawyers Association Los Angeles 26th Litigators Forum: Race in the Courtroom March 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Attorneys Rebecca Boon, Jon Uslaner, and Lauren Cruz Will Present to Berkeley Plaintiffs' Law Association on "Securities Litigation and Social Justice" March 11, 2022 Learn More
- Publications "SEC Whistleblower Program Seeing Renewed Support Under Biden Administration" by Jonathan Uslaner and Lauren Cruz Published in Reuters November 29, 2021 Learn More
- News BLB&G Partner Lauren Ormsbee Appointed Chair of the New York City Bar Association's Securities Litigation Committee October 3, 2022 Learn More
- Publications “Section 11’s Tracing Doctrine Goes Up to the Supreme Court” by John C. Browne and Lauren Ormsbee Published in The Review of Securities & Commodities Regulation March 17, 2023 Learn More
- News BLB&G Receives Approval of a Landmark $1 Billion Settlement for Shareholders in Wells Fargo Securities Class Action September 8, 2023 Learn More
- News Law360 Highlights Lauren A. Ormsbee's Article on Pirani v. Slack Technologies As One of Its Most Highly Read November 12, 2021 Learn More
- Events Lauren Ormsbee and Catherine van Kampen Speak at the NYCBA's Third Annual International Law Conference on the Status of Women March 3, 2022 Learn More