|Court:||Delaware Court of Chancery|
|Case Number:||C.A. No. 2020-0360-PAF|
|Case Leaders:||Jeroen van Kwawegen, Gregory V. Varallo, Edward G. Timlin|
|Case Team:||Daniel Meyer|
This stockholder class action on behalf of former stockholders of TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation (“Ameritrade”) challenges the stock-for-stock merger (the “Merger”) of Ameritrade and The Charles Schwab Corporation (“Schwab”). In connection with the Merger, Schwab entered into an agreement (the “Amended IDA Agreement”) with The Toronto-Dominion Bank (together with its affiliates, “TD Bank”). TD Bank was Ameritrade’s controlling stockholder, and the Amended IDA Agreement is worth hundreds of millions, if not billions, of dollars to TD Bank.
The amended complaint alleges that the Merger was the product of an unfair process that resulted in an unfair price for Ameritrade’s stockholders. Specifically, the amended complaint alleges that, before the Merger, Ameritrade and TD Bank were parties to a prior agreement (the “IDA Agreement”) that significantly diverged from market terms and that was extremely favorable to TD Bank. The IDA Agreement was set to expire in the coming years, and it was more favorable to Schwab to terminate the IDA Agreement and either enter into a new one on market terms or not contract out the services and perform them itself. Instead, Schwab directly negotiated with TD Bank the Amended IDA Agreement, which funneled Merger consideration directly to TD Bank in exchange for its support for the Merger. Ameritrade directors stood by idly and allowed this diversion of value that should have been paid pro rata to all Ameritrade stockholders.
The amended complaint, filed on February 5, 2021, asserts breach of fiduciary duty claims against TD Bank, as Ameritrade’s controller, and certain Ameritrade officers and directors. The amended complaint also asserts a claim against Schwab for aiding and abetting such breaches.
- Events BLB&G Hosts Annual 2021 Institutional Shareholder Conference in Amsterdam September 9, 2021 Learn More
- Publications "Forensic Linguistics and the Telephone Interview" by Jenna Goldin published by The New York City Fraud Examiner July 21, 2021 Learn More
- Awards Benchmark Litigation Names Six BLB&G Partners to Its “40 & Under Hot List” July 21, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner David Wales Speaks at the Practising Law Institute's webinar "ESG 2021: What It Means for Boards, Management, and Counsel" June 24, 2021 Learn More
- Publications "Important Considerations in Deciding Whether to Opt Out of Securities Class Actions" by Jonathan Uslaner published in Reuters June 23, 2021 Learn More