|Court:||Delaware Court of Chancery|
|Case Number:||C.A. No. 7357-VCG|
On March 8, 2012, Quest Software Inc. (“Quest”) agreed to be bought out by its CEO and Insight Venture Partners (“Insight”) for $23 in cash (the “Quest Transaction”). The buyout consideration was widely criticized as inadequate, and the Board’s conduct in negotiating the deal was of concern to Quest’s public shareholders.
On April 17, 2012, BLB&G filed a lawsuit on behalf of Plumbers Local 98 Defined Benefit Pension Fund challenging propriety of the Quest Transaction. Shortly thereafter, the Quest board of directors (the “Board”) began to take its obligation to Quest shareholders seriously, and initiated an auction process that manifested out of a pre-arranged “go shop” process. After consummation of the auction process, the Board agreed to a sale of the Company to technology company Dell Inc. (“Dell”) for $28 per share – roughly 22 percent higher than the price offered in the Quest Transaction. Subsequently, on July 23, 2012, the Company announced that Dell had won antitrust approval for its Quest acquisition.
In light of the sizable increase in value that the Dell transaction provides over the Quest Transaction, shareholders’ disapproval of the original insider buyout was vindicated. The case was thus deemed moot and voluntarily dismissed.
- Publications BLB&G Partner Avi Josefson Finds Invigorating Work in Client Case Development and Advice, as Featured in Lawdragon Profile December 5, 2022 Learn More
- Publications BLB&G Partner Hannah Ross Shares Career Insights as Part of The National Law Journal's Profile Series Honoring Plaintiffs Bar Leaders December 1, 2022 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner Jerry Silk Serves as “Private Securities Litigation” Panelist at PLI’s 54th Annual Institute on Securities Regulation November 9, 2022 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Hosts Corporate Charter Amendments and Officer Accountability Webinar November 8, 2022 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Director of European Client Development Anatoli van der Krans to Speak on Panel at Natixis CIB Green Summit November 7, 2022 Learn More