|Court:||Delaware Court of Chancery|
|Case Number:||C.A. No. 7357-VCG|
On March 8, 2012, Quest Software Inc. (“Quest”) agreed to be bought out by its CEO and Insight Venture Partners (“Insight”) for $23 in cash (the “Quest Transaction”). The buyout consideration was widely criticized as inadequate, and the Board’s conduct in negotiating the deal was of concern to Quest’s public shareholders.
On April 17, 2012, BLB&G filed a lawsuit on behalf of Plumbers Local 98 Defined Benefit Pension Fund challenging propriety of the Quest Transaction. Shortly thereafter, the Quest board of directors (the “Board”) began to take its obligation to Quest shareholders seriously, and initiated an auction process that manifested out of a pre-arranged “go shop” process. After consummation of the auction process, the Board agreed to a sale of the Company to technology company Dell Inc. (“Dell”) for $28 per share – roughly 22 percent higher than the price offered in the Quest Transaction. Subsequently, on July 23, 2012, the Company announced that Dell had won antitrust approval for its Quest acquisition.
In light of the sizable increase in value that the Dell transaction provides over the Quest Transaction, shareholders’ disapproval of the original insider buyout was vindicated. The case was thus deemed moot and voluntarily dismissed.
- Awards Benchmark Litigation Again Names BLB&G One of the Top Firms in the Nation in 2022 Guide October 5, 2021 Learn More
- Events Katie Sinderson Serves as Panelist at OPFTEC 2021 on "The Role of Securities Litigation in Pension Funds" October 1, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partners John C. Browne and Jeremy Robinson Present "Video Depositions: The Case for Their Continued Relevance in a Post-Quarantine World" Webinar October 1, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner Jeroen van Kwawegen Speaks at Broadridge Webinar on "International Opt-In Cases: Evolving Mechanisms for Collective Redress" September 30, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner Abe Alexander and Northeastern University Provost David Madigan Present Webinar on "Biostatistics for Lawyers" September 30, 2021 Learn More