|Court:||New York Supreme Court, New York County|
|Case Number:||Index No. 651918/2011|
|Case Leaders:||Gerald H. Silk, Avi Josefson, Michael D. Blatchley|
This direct action asserts claims against Deutsche Bank AG, Deutsche Bank Securities, Inc., ACE Securities Corp., Deutsche Alt-A Securities, Inc. and Db Structured Products, Inc. (collectively, "Deutsche Bank" or "Defendants") related to the underwriting and sale of residential mortgage-backed securities ("RMBS") to Plaintiffs Dexia SA/NV, Dexia Holdings, Inc., FSA Asset Management LLC, and Dexia Crèdit Local SA (collectively, "Dexia" or "Plaintiffs").
On July 13, 2011, Dexia filed a Complaint in the Supreme Court of the State of New York alleging claims for fraud and other claims arising out of Dexia's over $1 billion investment in triple-A RMBS underwritten and sold by Deutsche Bank. Dexia invested in these securities in reliance upon Deutsche Bank's representations attesting to their quality, that they were backed by loans that had been prudently underwritten and secured by collateral in accordance with underwriting guidelines of the companies originating the underlying mortgage loans, and that Deutsche Bank had performed due diligence in verifying the quality of the loans. Unbeknownst to Dexia, Deutsche Bank's traders internally referred to such RMBS, including the Deutsche Bank RMBS purchased by Dexia, as "pigs" and "crap." Armed with the knowledge of their true quality, Deutsche Bank then used its own capital bet against these RMBS and the U.S. housing market in general, eventually developing a $10 billion "short" position that paid off when the Deutsche Bank RMBS (and similar securities) declined in value.
- Events BLB&G Associate Brittney Balser to Speak on GAPPT Trustee School Panel, “What Happened to This Bank? An Investor’s Perspective on Bank Failures, Contagion, and Fraud” September 12, 2023 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Senior Counsel Catherine van Kampen to Moderate NJSBA CLE Webinar “What Lawyers Need to Know to Combat Antisemitism” September 8, 2023 Learn More
- News BLB&G Receives Approval of a Landmark $1 Billion Settlement for Shareholders in Wells Fargo Securities Class Action September 8, 2023 Learn More
- Awards BLB&G Senior Counsel Catherine van Kampen Recognized as 2023 Outstanding Volunteer by American Bar Association International Law Section August 25, 2023 Learn More
- Awards BLB&G Partner Katie Sinderson Appointed Co-Chair of Federal Bar Council Securities Litigation Committee August 23, 2023 Learn More