|Court:||Delaware Court of Chancery|
|Case Number:||C.A. 6034-VCP|
|Case Leader:||Mark Lebovitch|
Shareholder class action filed on behalf of Court-appointed lead plaintiff New Orleans Employees' Retirement System ("NOERS") challenging the acquisition of diagnostic testing company Celera Corporation (NASDAQ: CRA) by Quest Diagnostics Incorporated (NYSE: DGX).
The Court granted expedited proceedings and following extensive document review, depositions of key company officers and directors, and the filing of a motion for preliminary injunction and supporting brief, the parties reached a settlement wherein Celera and Quest agreed to alter key features of their merger agreement that NOERS, on behalf of all Celera shareholders, had asserted harmed the corporate sales process and inhibited obtaining maximum value for shareholders.
Over the course of an extensive and expedited discovery process, NOERS and Court-appointed Co-Lead Counsel BLB&G challenged a provision agreed to by certain participants in the company's prior sales process that prohibited those participants from seeking a waiver of the standstill restrictions that were a condition to gaining access to diligence materials.
This contractual prohibition, asserted NOERS and its counsel, was unenforceable and constituted a violation of Delaware law.
As part of a settlement reached on April 18, 2011, the standstill provisions were waived, effectively eliminating the challenged prohibition. The parties entered into a formal stipulation of settlement which was executed on August 9, 2011. The final approval hearing for the settlement is scheduled for November 17, 2011. Copies of the stipulation and other court documents relating to this action are included on the "Case Documents" page.
- Events Mark Lebovitch Serves as Panelist for Fordham Law School Symposium: "Here to Stay - Wrestling with the Future of the Quickly Maturing SPAC Market" October 22, 2021 Learn More
- Awards The National Black Lawyers Association Selects Associate Matthew Traylor for Membership & "Top 40 Under 40" List October 18, 2021 Learn More
- Awards Benchmark Litigation Again Names BLB&G One of the Top Firms in the Nation in 2022 Guide October 5, 2021 Learn More
- Events Katie Sinderson Serves as Panelist at OPFTEC 2021 on "The Role of Securities Litigation in Pension Funds" October 1, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partners John C. Browne and Jeremy Robinson Present "Video Depositions: The Case for Their Continued Relevance in a Post-Quarantine World" Webinar October 1, 2021 Learn More