|Court:||Delaware Court of Chancery|
|Case Number:||C.A. 6034-VCP|
|Case Leader:||Mark Lebovitch|
Shareholder class action filed on behalf of Court-appointed lead plaintiff New Orleans Employees' Retirement System ("NOERS") challenging the acquisition of diagnostic testing company Celera Corporation (NASDAQ: CRA) by Quest Diagnostics Incorporated (NYSE: DGX).
The Court granted expedited proceedings and following extensive document review, depositions of key company officers and directors, and the filing of a motion for preliminary injunction and supporting brief, the parties reached a settlement wherein Celera and Quest agreed to alter key features of their merger agreement that NOERS, on behalf of all Celera shareholders, had asserted harmed the corporate sales process and inhibited obtaining maximum value for shareholders.
Over the course of an extensive and expedited discovery process, NOERS and Court-appointed Co-Lead Counsel BLB&G challenged a provision agreed to by certain participants in the company's prior sales process that prohibited those participants from seeking a waiver of the standstill restrictions that were a condition to gaining access to diligence materials.
This contractual prohibition, asserted NOERS and its counsel, was unenforceable and constituted a violation of Delaware law.
As part of a settlement reached on April 18, 2011, the standstill provisions were waived, effectively eliminating the challenged prohibition. The parties entered into a formal stipulation of settlement which was executed on August 9, 2011. The final approval hearing for the settlement is scheduled for November 17, 2011. Copies of the stipulation and other court documents relating to this action are included on the "Case Documents" page.
- Events BLB&G Partner Rebecca Boon Serves as Panelist at PLI Program, ESG 2022: What It Means for Boards, Management, and Counsel May 20, 2022 Learn More
- News BLB&G Senior Counsel Catherine van Kampen Appointed Co-Chair of the New York State Bar Association’s Committee on Leadership Development May 20, 2022 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Associate Andrew Blumberg Interviewed for ABA's Litigation Section Podcast on Delaware Supreme Court's Recent Brookfield Decision May 19, 2022 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner Hannah Ross to Speak at PAPERS Spring Forum May 18, 2022 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partners John Rizio-Hamilton and Jesse Jensen Present Webinar on Auditor Regulation and Liability Under U.S. Securities Laws May 18, 2022 Learn More