|Court:||United States District Court for the Southern District of New York|
|Class Period:||02/07/2003 - 03/02/2004|
|Case Leader:||Katherine M. Sinderson|
This is a securities fraud class action filed on behalf of all investors who purchased the common stock of Biovail Corporation ("Biovail" or the "Company") between February 7, 2003 and March 2, 2004 (the "Class Period"). Defendants include the Company and certain of its former senior officers and directors, including Eugene N. Melnyk, Biovail's former Chairman and CEO. Biovail is a pharmaceutical company headquartered in Canada, with operations in the United States.
August 8, 2008 — Court Grants Final Approval of $138 Million Settlement
After nearly four years of intensive litigation, Co-Lead Counsel BLB&G and its client, Court-appointed Co-Lead Plaintiff the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan Board ("OTPP"), announce a settlement agreement of $138 million in cash with Biovail Corporation and certain of its officers. The settlement also provides for the implementation of certain corporate governance enhancements. This is the second largest recovery in a securities case involving a Canadian issuer, second only to Nortel — another case in which OTPP was represented by BLB&G as Co-Lead Plaintiff.
On April 9, 2008, the Court granted preliminary approval to the proposed settlement. Among other things, the Court's Order directed that Notice of the proposed settlement be provided to potential class members.
A settlement fairness hearing was held on August 8, 2008, during which time the Court granted final approval of the settlement. In order to have been eligible to share in the benefits of the settlement, class members should have submitted a completed and signed Proof of Claim and Release form postmarked no later than September 8, 2008.
- Awards The National Black Lawyers Association Selects Associate Matthew Traylor for Membership & "Top 40 Under 40" List October 18, 2021 Learn More
- Awards Benchmark Litigation Again Names BLB&G One of the Top Firms in the Nation in 2022 Guide October 5, 2021 Learn More
- Events Katie Sinderson Serves as Panelist at OPFTEC 2021 on "The Role of Securities Litigation in Pension Funds" October 1, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partners John C. Browne and Jeremy Robinson Present "Video Depositions: The Case for Their Continued Relevance in a Post-Quarantine World" Webinar October 1, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner Jeroen van Kwawegen Speaks at Broadridge Webinar on "International Opt-In Cases: Evolving Mechanisms for Collective Redress" September 30, 2021 Learn More