|Court:||United States District Court for the Southern District of New York|
|Class Period:||02/07/2003 - 03/02/2004|
|Case Leader:||Katherine M. Sinderson|
This is a securities fraud class action filed on behalf of all investors who purchased the common stock of Biovail Corporation ("Biovail" or the "Company") between February 7, 2003 and March 2, 2004 (the "Class Period"). Defendants include the Company and certain of its former senior officers and directors, including Eugene N. Melnyk, Biovail's former Chairman and CEO. Biovail is a pharmaceutical company headquartered in Canada, with operations in the United States.
August 8, 2008 — Court Grants Final Approval of $138 Million Settlement
After nearly four years of intensive litigation, Co-Lead Counsel BLB&G and its client, Court-appointed Co-Lead Plaintiff the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan Board ("OTPP"), announce a settlement agreement of $138 million in cash with Biovail Corporation and certain of its officers. The settlement also provides for the implementation of certain corporate governance enhancements. This is the second largest recovery in a securities case involving a Canadian issuer, second only to Nortel — another case in which OTPP was represented by BLB&G as Co-Lead Plaintiff.
On April 9, 2008, the Court granted preliminary approval to the proposed settlement. Among other things, the Court's Order directed that Notice of the proposed settlement be provided to potential class members.
A settlement fairness hearing was held on August 8, 2008, during which time the Court granted final approval of the settlement. In order to have been eligible to share in the benefits of the settlement, class members should have submitted a completed and signed Proof of Claim and Release form postmarked no later than September 8, 2008.
- Events BLB&G Partners Rebecca Boon and John Rizio-Hamilton Will Co-Present The ABA Webinar ESG Considerations In Securities Litigation September 23, 2022 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner Rebecca Boon Serves as Panelist at The Conference Board’s Leadership Council on Advancing Women September 22, 2022 Learn More
- Awards The New York Law Journal Recognizes Founding Partner Max Berger With Its Lifetime Achievement Award September 21, 2022 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Hosts Institutional Shareholder Conference in Amsterdam, Copenhagen, & Stockholm on September 16, 2022 September 16, 2022 Learn More
- News BLB&G Senior Counsel Catherine van Kampen Appointed Co-Chair of the American Bar Association’s International Law Section Women’s Interest Network September 14, 2022 Learn More