|Court:||United States District Court for the Southern District of New York|
|Case Number:||MDL No. 1153 (JES); 96-Civ-2583 (JES); 97-Civ-2199 (JES); 97-Civ-1246 (JES)|
The largest Ponzi fraud in history at the time, this securities fraud class action has been filed on behalf of all persons and entities who purchased or otherwise acquired hundreds of millions of dollars of unregistered securities from the Bennett Funding Group, Inc. in the form of equipment leases, promissory notes and certain other securities.
Previous settlements of $125 million and $14 million with Generali Insurance and Mahoney Cohen (a Bennett auditor) respectively, have already been obtained and distributed by the Bennett bankruptcy estate.
On January 29, 2003, the District Court granted its Preliminary Approval of a settlement between the Plaintiffs and Sphere Drake Insurance plc, et al. for $27.5 million in cash plus accrued interest since October 6, 2000. In order to be eligible to share in the settlement benefits, class members must have submitted a completed and signed proof of claim form, post marked on or before April 25, 2003.
- Events BLB&G Hosts Annual 2021 Institutional Shareholder Conference in Amsterdam September 9, 2021 Learn More
- Publications "Forensic Linguistics and the Telephone Interview" by Jenna Goldin published by The New York City Fraud Examiner July 21, 2021 Learn More
- Awards Benchmark Litigation Names Six BLB&G Partners to Its “40 & Under Hot List” July 21, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner David Wales Speaks at the Practising Law Institute's webinar "ESG 2021: What It Means for Boards, Management, and Counsel" June 24, 2021 Learn More
- Publications "Important Considerations in Deciding Whether to Opt Out of Securities Class Actions" by Jonathan Uslaner published in Reuters June 23, 2021 Learn More