|Court:||United States District Court for the Southern District of New York|
|Case Number:||MDL No. 1153 (JES); 96-Civ-2583 (JES); 97-Civ-2199 (JES); 97-Civ-1246 (JES)|
The largest Ponzi fraud in history at the time, this securities fraud class action has been filed on behalf of all persons and entities who purchased or otherwise acquired hundreds of millions of dollars of unregistered securities from the Bennett Funding Group, Inc. in the form of equipment leases, promissory notes and certain other securities.
Previous settlements of $125 million and $14 million with Generali Insurance and Mahoney Cohen (a Bennett auditor) respectively, have already been obtained and distributed by the Bennett bankruptcy estate.
On January 29, 2003, the District Court granted its Preliminary Approval of a settlement between the Plaintiffs and Sphere Drake Insurance plc, et al. for $27.5 million in cash plus accrued interest since October 6, 2000. In order to be eligible to share in the settlement benefits, class members must have submitted a completed and signed proof of claim form, post marked on or before April 25, 2003.
- Publications BLB&G Partner Avi Josefson Finds Invigorating Work in Client Case Development and Advice, as Featured in Lawdragon Profile December 5, 2022 Learn More
- Publications BLB&G Partner Hannah Ross Shares Career Insights as Part of The National Law Journal's Profile Series Honoring Plaintiffs Bar Leaders December 1, 2022 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner Jerry Silk Serves as “Private Securities Litigation” Panelist at PLI’s 54th Annual Institute on Securities Regulation November 9, 2022 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Hosts Corporate Charter Amendments and Officer Accountability Webinar November 8, 2022 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Director of European Client Development Anatoli van der Krans to Speak on Panel at Natixis CIB Green Summit November 7, 2022 Learn More