|Court:||United States District Court for the Southern District of New York|
|Case Number:||MDL No. 1153 (JES); 96-Civ-2583 (JES); 97-Civ-2199 (JES); 97-Civ-1246 (JES)|
The largest Ponzi fraud in history at the time, this securities fraud class action has been filed on behalf of all persons and entities who purchased or otherwise acquired hundreds of millions of dollars of unregistered securities from the Bennett Funding Group, Inc. in the form of equipment leases, promissory notes and certain other securities.
Previous settlements of $125 million and $14 million with Generali Insurance and Mahoney Cohen (a Bennett auditor) respectively, have already been obtained and distributed by the Bennett bankruptcy estate.
On January 29, 2003, the District Court granted its Preliminary Approval of a settlement between the Plaintiffs and Sphere Drake Insurance plc, et al. for $27.5 million in cash plus accrued interest since October 6, 2000. In order to be eligible to share in the settlement benefits, class members must have submitted a completed and signed proof of claim form, post marked on or before April 25, 2003.
- Awards Benchmark Litigation Again Names BLB&G One of the Top Firms in the Nation in 2022 Guide October 5, 2021 Learn More
- Events Katie Sinderson Serves as Panelist at OPFTEC 2021 on "The Role of Securities Litigation in Pension Funds" October 1, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partners John C. Browne and Jeremy Robinson Present "Video Depositions: The Case for Their Continued Relevance in a Post-Quarantine World" Webinar October 1, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner Jeroen van Kwawegen Speaks at Broadridge Webinar on "International Opt-In Cases: Evolving Mechanisms for Collective Redress" September 30, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner Abe Alexander and Northeastern University Provost David Madigan Present Webinar on "Biostatistics for Lawyers" September 30, 2021 Learn More