Reuters Highlights BLB&G’s SPAC Case, In re Multiplan Corp Stockholders Litigation, as "Opening the Door to Liability for SPAC Sponsors"
January 5, 2022
Reuters recently highlighted one of BLB&G’s SPAC cases, In re Multiplan Corp Stockholders Litigation, as a case that “opens the door to judicial review of those deals” and “will be key in future SPAC shareholder suits.” This highlight comes after Vice Chancellor Lori Will’s recent ruling that investors at the Churchill Capital Corp III SPAC will be able to proceed with claims that the SPAC’s insiders have breached their fiduciary duties by neglecting to disclose vital information.
The article covers how Vice Chancellor Lori Will’s ruling is based and centered on BLB&G’s assertions that Churchill insiders failed to advise the SPAC’s investors that the biggest customer of MultiPlan was developing a competing product and ditching MultiPlan — ultimately leading to the share price falling more than 30%. By failing to disclose this vital information, the Churchill defendants intervened with investors’ right to redeem their shares. The vice chancellor rejected many of the defense’s arguments.
As part of BLB&G’s mission to protect shareholder interests and police securities markets, the firm is actively prosecuting a variety of claims challenging misconduct related to special purpose acquisition companies, or "SPACs." BLB&G's leadership in this space includes claims against SPAC sponsors, boards of directors, and other related parties, seeking redress for investors harmed by fraud, conflicts of interest, and statutory violations, among other things. Our interdisciplinary team of attorneys—supported by fraud examiners, private investigators, and financial analysts—has extensive experience prosecuting securities fraud claims, fiduciary duty claims, and other shareholder litigation that is directly applicable to the burgeoning SPAC space.
- News BLB&G Secures Additional Shares for AMC Stockholders in Landmark Recapitalization Settlement April 3, 2023 Learn More
- Publications “SEC administrative enforcement process called into question, highlighting importance of private actions” by Jonathan D. Uslaner and Chloe Jasper Published in Reuters November 27, 2023 Learn More
- Publications "The Year of the SPACs: The Incredible Rise and Welcome Fall of Special Purpose Acquisition Companies" by BLB&G Partners John C. Browne and Lauren Ormsbee May 13, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partners John C. Browne and Lauren A. Ormsbee Present Emerging Dynamics Impacting Section 11 Litigation: SPACs, Direct Listings, and PSLRA Litigation Stays Webinar November 12, 2021 Learn More
- Publications “The SEC is inching closer to clarity on cybersecurity requirements” by Jonathan D. Uslaner and Jasmine Cooper-Little Published in Reuters April 20, 2023 Learn More
- Publications "Forewarned is forearmed: shareholders to benefit from new SEC climate disclosure rules" by Jonathan D. Uslaner Published in Reuters May 9, 2022 Learn More
- Publications "Gaming the System: Corporate Disclosures and Information Bundling" by Jonathan D. Uslaner published in Reuters September 9, 2021 Learn More
- Publications "SEC Whistleblower Program Seeing Renewed Support Under Biden Administration" by Jonathan Uslaner and Lauren Cruz Published in Reuters November 29, 2021 Learn More