August 20, 2013
The United States District Court of the Southern District of New York has granted final approval of the $730 million cash settlement reached in the In re Citigroup, Inc. Bond Litigation. The settlement is the second largest recovery in a securities class action brought on behalf of purchasers of debt securities, as well as the second largest settlement arising out of the subprime meltdown and financial crisis. It is also the third largest recovery in a case that did not involve a financial restatement, and among the fifteen largest securities class action recoveries in history.
The settlement comes after more than four years of protracted litigation, including the denial of defendants’ motions to dismiss and a massive and intensive discovery effort that involved more than 70 depositions.
The Citigroup Bond litigation was filed on behalf of purchasers of 48 offerings of Citigroup preferred stock and bonds issued from 2006 through 2008. The action contends that Citigroup conducted a series of public offerings prior to the collapse of the subprime mortgage market based on offering documents that contained material misrepresentations and omissions regarding Citigroup’s exposure to billions of dollars in mortgage-related assets. Plaintiffs also allege that Citigroup materially understated the loss reserves for its portfolio of high-risk residential mortgage loans, and falsely stated that risky assets held in off-balance sheet entities known as structured investment vehicles ("SIVs") were of high credit quality. It wasn’t until November 2008, when the bank received substantial government assistance, that investors learned the full truth about Citigroup’s financial condition.
BLB&G is the Court-appointed Bond Counsel for the Class representing, among others, Arkansas Teacher Retirement Systems and Louisiana Sheriffs' Pension and Relief Fund. Former United States District Judge Layn R. Phillips served as mediator in helping to facilitate the resolution of this case.
- Awards BLB&G Named 2020 Top Securities Practice by Law360 November 30, 2020 Learn More
- News BLB&G Allianz Structured Alpha Funds Team Announces New Case Filing October 16, 2020 Learn More
- News BLB&G Announces Elevation of Two Partners and Four Senior Counsel January 24, 2020 Learn More
- News Law360 Interviews BLB&G Partners Hannah Ross and Sal Graziano for Profile on the Firm’s Selection as “Practice Group of the Year” November 30, 2020 Learn More
- News BLB&G Announces Elevation of Four Partners and One Senior Counsel January 26, 2021 Learn More
- Awards Law360 Profiles Abe Alexander as Part of Series Honoring 2021 Rising Star Award Winners June 2, 2021 Learn More
- Awards Benchmark Again Names Hannah Ross One of Top U.S. Women Litigators in 2019 August 2019 Learn More
- Awards BLB&G Named A Top Securities Practice by Law360 January 2020 Learn More
- Awards BLB&G Leads ISS SCAS List of Top 100 Securities Settlements of All Time January 25, 2022 Learn More