|Court:||Delaware Court of Chancery|
|Case Number:||Consolidated C.A. No. 6164-VCP|
|Case Leader:||Mark Lebovitch|
On January 23, 2011, Smurfit-Stone Container Corp. ("Smurfit-Stone" or the "Company"), entered into a merger agreement with Rock-Tenn Company ("Rock-Tenn"), whereby each share of Smurfit-Stone common stock would be converted into the right to receive $17.50 in cash and 0.30605 shares of Rock-Tenn common stock (the "Proposed Transaction"). BLB&G challenged the Proposed Transaction as a product of breaches of fiduciary duty by the Smurfit-Stone's board of directors, aided and abetted by Rock-Tenn. The parties engaged in expedited discovery proceedings. In response to the challenges made by shareholder plaintiffs, defendants filed several amendments to their proxy statements and made other supplemental disclosures.
On May 2, 2011, the Court certified a class, and designated BLB&G as Co-Lead Counsel. After a hearing, on May 20, 2011, the Court denied shareholder plaintiffs' motion for a preliminary injunction. The Smurfit-Stone shareholders approved the Proposed Transaction, and it closed on May 27, 2010. It then came to the parties' attention that the proxy statements erroneously described and attached an outdated version of Delaware's appraisal statute. Thereafter, the parties negotiated a settlement, whereby former Smurfit-Stone shareholders are provided with the right to elect to participate in quasi-appraisal proceedings. On December 9, 2011, the Court approved the settlement.
- Events Mark Lebovitch Serves as Panelist for Fordham Law School Symposium: "Here to Stay - Wrestling with the Future of the Quickly Maturing SPAC Market" October 22, 2021 Learn More
- Awards The National Black Lawyers Association Selects Associate Matthew Traylor for Membership & "Top 40 Under 40" List October 18, 2021 Learn More
- Awards Benchmark Litigation Again Names BLB&G One of the Top Firms in the Nation in 2022 Guide October 5, 2021 Learn More
- Events Katie Sinderson Serves as Panelist at OPFTEC 2021 on "The Role of Securities Litigation in Pension Funds" October 1, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partners John C. Browne and Jeremy Robinson Present "Video Depositions: The Case for Their Continued Relevance in a Post-Quarantine World" Webinar October 1, 2021 Learn More