|Court:||Delaware Court of Chancery|
|Case Number:||Consolidated C.A. No. 6164-VCP|
|Case Leader:||Mark Lebovitch|
On January 23, 2011, Smurfit-Stone Container Corp. ("Smurfit-Stone" or the "Company"), entered into a merger agreement with Rock-Tenn Company ("Rock-Tenn"), whereby each share of Smurfit-Stone common stock would be converted into the right to receive $17.50 in cash and 0.30605 shares of Rock-Tenn common stock (the "Proposed Transaction"). BLB&G challenged the Proposed Transaction as a product of breaches of fiduciary duty by the Smurfit-Stone's board of directors, aided and abetted by Rock-Tenn. The parties engaged in expedited discovery proceedings. In response to the challenges made by shareholder plaintiffs, defendants filed several amendments to their proxy statements and made other supplemental disclosures.
On May 2, 2011, the Court certified a class, and designated BLB&G as Co-Lead Counsel. After a hearing, on May 20, 2011, the Court denied shareholder plaintiffs' motion for a preliminary injunction. The Smurfit-Stone shareholders approved the Proposed Transaction, and it closed on May 27, 2010. It then came to the parties' attention that the proxy statements erroneously described and attached an outdated version of Delaware's appraisal statute. Thereafter, the parties negotiated a settlement, whereby former Smurfit-Stone shareholders are provided with the right to elect to participate in quasi-appraisal proceedings. On December 9, 2011, the Court approved the settlement.
- Awards Chambers Again Ranks BLB&G Top Securities Litigation Firm with Band 1 Rankings in All Categories June 1, 2023 Learn More
- Publications BLB&G’s Lauren Cruz and Emily Tu Published in ABA Spring 2023 Newsletter May 26, 2023 Learn More
- Awards Lawdragon Names BLB&G Partners to the 2023 Edition of the “500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers” List May 26, 2023 Learn More
- Awards BLB&G Named a Law360 "Legal Lion of the Week" May 19, 2023 Learn More
- News BLB&G Secures a Historic $1 Billion Settlement for Shareholders in Wells Fargo Securities Class Action May 16, 2023 Learn More