|Court:||Delaware Court of Chancery|
|Case Number:||No. 2018-0058-JTL|
|Case Leaders:||Edward G. Timlin, Mark Lebovitch|
|Case Team:||Andrew Blumberg, David Carlet|
On May 24, 2018, through their counsel, BLB&G, Plaintiff Employees’ Retirement System of the City of St. Louis filed a Verified Stockholder Derivative Complaint, on behalf of Pilgrim’s Pride Corporation (“PPC” or the “Company”), against (i) certain members of PPC’s board of directors; and (ii) PPC’s controlling stockholders, JBS S.A. (“JBS”) and JBS USA Holdings Lux S.á r.l. (“JBS Lux”). On July 2, 2018 the Court consolidated our action with a similar case. The consolidated complaint alleged, among other things, that certain of PPC’s directors and PPC’s controlling stockholders breached their fiduciary duties by causing PPC to acquire Moy Park at an unfair price and following an unfair process.
On March 15, 2019, following briefing and oral argument, the Court issued a Memorandum Opinion denying Defendants’ motion to dismiss. Click "Case Documents" at left to see the Opinion.
Following the Court’s decision on the motion to dismiss, the parties engaged in extensive discovery. On July 1, 2019, Plaintiffs’ counsel and Defendants’ counsel participated in a full day mediation session. The session ended without any agreement being reached. Thereafter, the parties continued to engage in arm’s-length negotiations under the supervision and guidance of the mediator.
On September 5, 2019, after extensive, arm’s-length negotiations, Plaintiffs and Defendants reached an agreement on the principal terms of a settlement. On October 4, 2019 the parties filed a Stipulation and Agreement of Settlement, Compromise and Release, which can be viewed under Case Documents.
On January 28, 2020, the Court approved the settlement.
- Events BLB&G Partner Mark Lebovitch Will Serve As a Commentator at the University of Pennsylvania Law School's Institute for Law & Economics Fall Corporate Roundtable December 10, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner Rebecca Boon Will Serve as Panelist At Bloomberg Sustainable Business Summit's Focus on Finance Discussing Preparations for Proxy Season December 9, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner Abe Alexander to Present to U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Securities Litigation in Biotech December 2, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Attorneys Rebecca Boon, Ryan Dykhouse and Michael Mathai Will Present At Harvard Law School's Roundtable on How Securities Litigation Can Be a Tool for Social Justice December 2, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner John Rizio-Hamilton Will Serve as Coordinator at Federal Bar Council Webinar, Current Issues in Retail Securities Markets December 2, 2021 Learn More