|Court:||Delaware Court of Chancery|
|Case Number:||No. 2018-0058-JTL|
|Case Leaders:||Edward G. Timlin, Mark Lebovitch|
|Case Team:||Andrew Blumberg, David Carlet, Stavros Katsetos|
On May 24, 2018, through their counsel, BLB&G, Plaintiff Employees’ Retirement System of the City of St. Louis filed a Verified Stockholder Derivative Complaint, on behalf of Pilgrim’s Pride Corporation (“PPC” or the “Company”), against (i) certain members of PPC’s board of directors; and (ii) PPC’s controlling stockholders, JBS S.A. (“JBS”) and JBS USA Holdings Lux S.á r.l. (“JBS Lux”). On July 2, 2018 the Court consolidated our action with a similar case. The consolidated complaint alleged, among other things, that certain of PPC’s directors and PPC’s controlling stockholders breached their fiduciary duties by causing PPC to acquire Moy Park at an unfair price and following an unfair process.
On March 15, 2019, following briefing and oral argument, the Court issued a Memorandum Opinion denying Defendants’ motion to dismiss. Click "Case Documents" at left to see the Opinion.
Following the Court’s decision on the motion to dismiss, the parties engaged in extensive discovery. On July 1, 2019, Plaintiffs’ counsel and Defendants’ counsel participated in a full day mediation session. The session ended without any agreement being reached. Thereafter, the parties continued to engage in arm’s-length negotiations under the supervision and guidance of the mediator.
On September 5, 2019, after extensive, arm’s-length negotiations, Plaintiffs and Defendants reached an agreement on the principal terms of a settlement. On October 4, 2019 the parties filed a Stipulation and Agreement of Settlement, Compromise and Release, which can be viewed under Case Documents.
On January 28, 2020, the Court approved the settlement.
- Events BLB&G Partners John Rizio-Hamilton and Jesse Jensen to Present PLI Webinar, Auditor Litigation Considerations September 29, 2022 Learn More
- Events BLB&G's John Rizio-Hamilton and Nicole Santoro To Speak at the Federal Bar Council Panel, "Life of a Federal Law Clerk" September 27, 2022 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partners Rebecca Boon and John Rizio-Hamilton Will Co-Present The ABA Webinar ESG Considerations In Securities Litigation September 23, 2022 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner Rebecca Boon Serves as Panelist at The Conference Board’s Leadership Council on Advancing Women September 22, 2022 Learn More
- Awards The New York Law Journal Recognizes Founding Partner Max Berger With Its Lifetime Achievement Award September 21, 2022 Learn More