|Court:||Delaware Court of Chancery|
|Case Number:||No. 2018-0058-JTL|
|Case Leader:||Edward G. Timlin|
|Case Team:||Andrew Blumberg, David Carlet, Stavros Katsetos|
On May 24, 2018, through their counsel, BLB&G, Plaintiff Employees’ Retirement System of the City of St. Louis filed a Verified Stockholder Derivative Complaint, on behalf of Pilgrim’s Pride Corporation (“PPC” or the “Company”), against (i) certain members of PPC’s board of directors; and (ii) PPC’s controlling stockholders, JBS S.A. (“JBS”) and JBS USA Holdings Lux S.á r.l. (“JBS Lux”). On July 2, 2018 the Court consolidated our action with a similar case. The consolidated complaint alleged, among other things, that certain of PPC’s directors and PPC’s controlling stockholders breached their fiduciary duties by causing PPC to acquire Moy Park at an unfair price and following an unfair process.
On March 15, 2019, following briefing and oral argument, the Court issued a Memorandum Opinion denying Defendants’ motion to dismiss. Click "Case Documents" at left to see the Opinion.
Following the Court’s decision on the motion to dismiss, the parties engaged in extensive discovery. On July 1, 2019, Plaintiffs’ counsel and Defendants’ counsel participated in a full day mediation session. The session ended without any agreement being reached. Thereafter, the parties continued to engage in arm’s-length negotiations under the supervision and guidance of the mediator.
On September 5, 2019, after extensive, arm’s-length negotiations, Plaintiffs and Defendants reached an agreement on the principal terms of a settlement. On October 4, 2019 the parties filed a Stipulation and Agreement of Settlement, Compromise and Release, which can be viewed under Case Documents.
On January 28, 2020, the Court approved the settlement.
- Events BLB&G Partner Katie Sinderson to Appear as Guest Panelist at Skadden Arp’s 16th Annual Securities Litigation and Regulatory Enforcement Update December 5, 2023 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner Jeroen van Kwawegen to Serve as Panelist at Columbia Law School Conference on M&A and Corporate Governance December 1, 2023 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Senior Counsel Jai Chandrasekhar to Speak at Annual Asia Pacific Association for Fiduciary Studies Conference November 29, 2023 Learn More
- Publications “SEC administrative enforcement process called into question, highlighting importance of private actions” by Jonathan D. Uslaner and Chloe Jasper Published in Reuters November 27, 2023 Learn More
- Publications “‘Optimizing’ and Match: Bad Policy Threatens to Drive Bad Law” by Gregory Varallo, Andrew Blumberg, and James Janison Published by Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance November 13, 2023 Learn More