|Court:||Delaware Court of Chancery|
|Case Number:||No. 2018-0058-JTL|
|Case Leaders:||Edward G. Timlin, Mark Lebovitch|
|Case Team:||Andrew Blumberg, David Carlet|
On May 24, 2018, through their counsel, BLB&G, Plaintiff Employees’ Retirement System of the City of St. Louis filed a Verified Stockholder Derivative Complaint, on behalf of Pilgrim’s Pride Corporation (“PPC” or the “Company”), against (i) certain members of PPC’s board of directors; and (ii) PPC’s controlling stockholders, JBS S.A. (“JBS”) and JBS USA Holdings Lux S.á r.l. (“JBS Lux”). On July 2, 2018 the Court consolidated our action with a similar case. The consolidated complaint alleged, among other things, that certain of PPC’s directors and PPC’s controlling stockholders breached their fiduciary duties by causing PPC to acquire Moy Park at an unfair price and following an unfair process.
On March 15, 2019, following briefing and oral argument, the Court issued a Memorandum Opinion denying Defendants’ motion to dismiss. Click "Case Documents" at left to see the Opinion.
Following the Court’s decision on the motion to dismiss, the parties engaged in extensive discovery. On July 1, 2019, Plaintiffs’ counsel and Defendants’ counsel participated in a full day mediation session. The session ended without any agreement being reached. Thereafter, the parties continued to engage in arm’s-length negotiations under the supervision and guidance of the mediator.
On September 5, 2019, after extensive, arm’s-length negotiations, Plaintiffs and Defendants reached an agreement on the principal terms of a settlement. On October 4, 2019 the parties filed a Stipulation and Agreement of Settlement, Compromise and Release. Click here to view the stipulation.
On January 28, 2020, the Court approved the settlement.
- Events BLB&G Hosts Annual 2021 Institutional Shareholder Conference in Amsterdam September 9, 2021 Learn More
- Publications "Forensic Linguistics and the Telephone Interview" by Jenna Goldin published by The New York City Fraud Examiner July 21, 2021 Learn More
- Awards Benchmark Litigation Names Six BLB&G Partners to Its “40 & Under Hot List” July 21, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner David Wales Speaks at the Practising Law Institute's webinar "ESG 2021: What It Means for Boards, Management, and Counsel" June 24, 2021 Learn More
- Publications "Important Considerations in Deciding Whether to Opt Out of Securities Class Actions" by Jonathan Uslaner published in Reuters June 23, 2021 Learn More