|Court:||Delaware Court of Chancery|
|Case Leader:||Mark Lebovitch|
On March 7, 2012, BLB&G filed a shareholder derivative complaint in the Delaware Court of Chancery on behalf of the City of Pinellas Park Firefighters Pension Board in the name and for the benefit of Clear Channel Outdoor Holdings, Inc. ("Outdoor" or the "Company"), against Outdoor's board of directors (the "Board") and Outdoor's controlling shareholder Clear Channel Communications, Inc. ("Clear Channel").
This derivative lawsuit alleged that Clear Channel has abused its 90% ownership position to compel Outdoor to provide what will soon be a one billion loan (the "Loan') via an unsecured line of credit at an interest rate that is less than half of what the market would charge Clear Channel for similar debt. In light of Clear Channel's poor financial condition and $16 billion debt load, Outdoor faces a strong prospect that it will never be paid back on the unsecured Loan.
In response to the filing of the Pinellas Park action, the Outdoor Board formed a special litigation committee ("SLC") of purportedly independent directors to investigate the alleged wrongdoing. In July 2012, the SLC requested, and the Court granted, a six-month stay ("Stay") of the derivative litigation to provide the SLC with sufficient time to conduct its investigation.
Following extensive discussions, BLB&G and the Outdoor SLC were able to negotiate a settlement pursuant to which Outdoor will, among other things, (a) immediately dividend $200 million to its shareholders and (b) provide a delegation of authority to independent directors to demand repayment of a portion of the Loan when the Loan balance exceeds $1 billion.
On July 8, 2013, the parties entered into the Stipulation of Settlement (the “Stipulation”) reflecting the terms of the proposed settlement. A copy of the Stipulation is available on the Case Documents page.
On September 9, 2013, the Delaware Court of Chancery granted final approval of the settlement and plan of allocation.
- Awards The National Black Lawyers Association Selects Associate Matthew Traylor for Membership & "Top 40 Under 40" List October 18, 2021 Learn More
- Awards Benchmark Litigation Again Names BLB&G One of the Top Firms in the Nation in 2022 Guide October 5, 2021 Learn More
- Events Katie Sinderson Serves as Panelist at OPFTEC 2021 on "The Role of Securities Litigation in Pension Funds" October 1, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partners John C. Browne and Jeremy Robinson Present "Video Depositions: The Case for Their Continued Relevance in a Post-Quarantine World" Webinar October 1, 2021 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner Jeroen van Kwawegen Speaks at Broadridge Webinar on "International Opt-In Cases: Evolving Mechanisms for Collective Redress" September 30, 2021 Learn More