|Court:||United States District Court for the Southern District of New York|
|Class Period:||02/17/2005 - 07/31/2006|
|Case Leader:||Salvatore J. Graziano|
Please note the Claim Form is no longer available.
Securities fraud class action filed on behalf of a class of persons and entities who purchased or acquired Scottish Re Group Limited Ordinary Shares, Non-Cumulative Perpetual Preferred Shares, and/or Convertible Preferred Shares of Hybrid Capital Units between February 17, 2005 and July 31, 2006 (the "Class Period").
On October 12, 2006, the Honorable Shira A. Scheindlin appointed BLB&G client the State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio as Lead Plaintiff and BLB&G as Lead Counsel for the Class.
Lead Plaintiff alleges violations of both the Securities Act of 1933 and Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Specifically, Lead Plaintiff claims that Scottish Re violated Generally Accepted Accounting Principles ("GAAP") by failing to properly account for its significant deferred tax assets. In addition to the alleged GAAP violations, the Company suffered from numerous undisclosed internal control deficiencies. The Consolidated Class Action Complaint states that when the true facts were revealed, including a material valuation allowance on deferred tax assets and numerous other required financial adjustments (revealing the Company's poor internal controls), the price of Scottish Re securities declined precipitously.
On November 1, 2007 Judge Scheindlin denied the motions to dismiss as to all claims against the defendants except the Securities Exchange Act fraud claims against auditor Ernst & Young, which she dismissed with leave to amend.
- Publications BLB&G’s Lauren Cruz and Emily Tu Published in ABA Spring 2023 Newsletter May 26, 2023 Learn More
- Awards Lawdragon Names BLB&G Partners to the 2023 Edition of the “500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers” List May 26, 2023 Learn More
- News BLB&G Secures a Historic $1 Billion Settlement for Shareholders in Wells Fargo Securities Class Action May 16, 2023 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner Avi Josefson to Speak at MAPERS Spring Conference May 15, 2023 Learn More
- Events BLB&G Partner Hannah Ross to Speak on NCPERS Annual Conference Panel May 11, 2023 Learn More