Edward practices out of the firm’s New York office, where he prosecutes securities fraud, corporate governance and shareholder rights litigation on behalf of the firm’s institutional clients.
He has been a senior member of the trial teams prosecuting a number of the firm’s most significant recent litigations, including the Allergan Proxy Violation Litigation, in which the team obtained a $250 million settlement for Allergan, Inc. investors after fighting a ferocious three-year legal battle to stop an unprecedented and sophisticated insider-trading scheme by billionaire hedge fund manager Bill Ackman. In recognition of his accomplishments, Edward is regularly included in the list of leading practitioners published by Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers.
Some of his other representative litigations include:
- In re TIBCO Software Stockholder Litigation, where the team pursued novel and precedent-setting merger agreement reformation claims and recovered 33% of potential damages shortly before trial.
- In re Jefferies, Inc. Stockholder Litigation, which challenged Leucadia’s 2013 acquisition of Jefferies Financial Group, and settled for a $75 million net payment paid entirely to a class of former Jefferies investors.
- In re Intuitive Surgical Shareholder Derivative Litigation, a corporate misconduct case alleging that insiders at the robotic surgical platforms manufacturer sold hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of stock at near highs, while hiding safety defects in its electrified instruments that were causing deaths, burns, and other injuries. The suit resulted in $15 million recovery from the insiders and a variety of critical corporate governance reforms to improve the Company’s FDA and insider-trading compliance.
- In re GFI Group Inc. Stockholder Litigation, which challenged a transaction whereby the company’s founder would take a valuable piece of the business private for a pittance, while the balance was sold to the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. By challenging the transaction, the team forced the insiders to allow a far superior sale to BGC Partners and secured a $10.75 net recovery to the class.
- In re Appraisal of Diamond Resorts, which secured a confidential recovery for appraisal petitioners in connection with Apollo Global Management’s 2016 acquisition of Diamond Resorts.
- In re Appraisal of Jarden Corporation, which secured a confidential recovery for appraisal petitioners in connection with Newell Brands’ 2016 acquisition of Jarden Corporation.
Edward is currently a member of the teams prosecuting In re AmTrust Financial Services, Inc.; Cummings v. Edens (New Senior Investment Group); In re Pilgrim’s Pride; Dieckman v. Regency GP LP; West Palm Beach Firefighters v. Spectrum Brands Holdings, Inc.; In re Straight Path Communications, Inc.; and In re Xerox Corporation.
Prior to joining BLB&G, Edward was a senior litigation associate at a major corporate law firm. Among other matters, he successfully represented corporate clients in complex litigation, including securities class actions, derivative actions, and merger and acquisitions matters.
Edward received his law degree from Columbia Law School in 2009 and bachelor’s degree from Cornell University in 2006, both with academic honors.